Friday, July 22, 2011

Carry on!

I love to make new things out of old stuff!

Remember when I told you how to loosen labels from bottles? Well, now is the time to use all those cool beer bottle labels, or wine labels.
Having friends over for a BBQ, you'll need to be bringing food and drinks in and out and this project is perfect for that!

PROJECT OF THE DAY:

label tray

You'll need:
~wooden tray. I got mine from TJMaxx, but you can get one at a thrift shops, or garage sale. It doesn't matter whether they look new, you'll be covering it up with labels.
~labels (beer, soda, wine)
~ModPodge
  (or you can make your own, 1/2 Elmer's glue, 1/2 water - mix well)

If your tray is in really bad shape, you may want to paint it. But just do the edges (inside and out). The bottom will be covered. Sand it if needed.

Lay out your labels and see how they fit together. You can overlap, or not. You can go up onto the sides, or not.

Using the ModPodge, brush some onto the tray, then lay one label down, and go over the top of the label with more ModPodge.

Continue in this manner until you have covered the tray to your liking.  Let dry, and then... have a party!

Tip of the Day:
Reuse all those envelopes you get in the mail.
When companies send you a solicitation, they usually send an addressed envelope for you to return. I find these come in handy for loads (not through the mail), or I donated them to my neighbor's daughter's preschool for the kids to bring their little projects home in.
I also cut off the corners to create bookmarks. Cut the bottom corners off at an angle (so you end up with a triangle). These slip over a single page I wish to save.  I use these not only for the books I'm reading,but for recipe holders in cookbooks, or on magazine pages I want to locate later. (You can write on them too, to let you know what you are saving.)

that's all for now

Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment