Friday, July 1, 2011

Hold it right there!

I love to take old things, and make them new!

I hope you are finding my projects fun and easy to do. I’m finding it fun to look around my house and discover all the recycled projects I have done. I amaze myself at all the things I have reused. Is that a good thing?

Project of the day:
recipe or photo holder

You need:
~a container (metal is best) but you can certainly use other things.
Here I used an empty spice can.
~Plaster of Paris (available at any hobby store: Michaels, Joann’s, Hobby Lobby, some hardware stores, perhaps Walmart)
~18 gauge wire (you could use a coat hanger, but it’s pretty thick and you need some muscles for that one)
~pliers

1. Cut a piece of wire twice as long as you want your photo holder to be.
2. Using pliers, curl the end several times to create a double curl. *
3. Read directions of Plaster of Paris (you need to add water to the powder mix to the consistency of thick cream)
4. Prepare plaster and pour into your container (the plaster heats as it sets, so metal is the best. I’ve used glass, but it has broken upon heat setting. L
5. Insert wire and hold til set.

*note: I curve the end of the wire (not the photo holder end) so it will not 'pull' out of the plaster easily. We don't want a straight up and out wire fixture.

This is a great gift for cooks. Add some new kitchen towels, utensils (see my website for some awesome, classy serving utensils) some recipe cards and ingredients. Put in a pretty bowl, wrap in cello, add a bow, and you’re set to go! Or how about a housewarming gift!

I have also used this idea for a new baby gift. I bought a pair of baby shoes at the thrift shop. I used one for the wire photo holder. I poured the plaster into the shoe, added the wire, and let set.
I added some baby goodies, and put their baby announcement on the photo holder. (you could also put some money on it). Place in a basket or diaper bag. You'll be the hit of the baby shower!
What a great momento!

TIP OF THE DAY:
If you use plastic grocery sacks to line your garbage cans, here's a tip to keep them under control. Take an empty Kleenex box, and stuff it full with the plastic bags. The top of the Kleenex box should have that plastic around the opening, this works best to keep the bags inside.
You can put these in every room, inside the cabinets to have your garbage can liners ready. And you'll be surprised how many you can jam in these. It sure is neater than all those bags floating around!
For gifts, check out my website: www.arttowearbydee.etsy.com
Please feel free to add this blog to your Facebook Page! click below...

THAT’S ALL FOR TODAY!
:D

1 comment:

  1. I love how versatile the container can be!

    I used the kleenex box tip for my garbage bags too! I painted the box with white latex house paint (to match my cabinet) and actually screwed it to the inside of my under-sink cabinet door using small screws with big wide washers. Much cheaper than those $30 holders you buy at the container store! And it's still going strong!

    ReplyDelete