Friday, November 11, 2011

Hardware for earwear

I love making new things out of old stuff!

Well, we survived Halloween. So now I am hoping people will take down their cobwebs and rotten pumpkins. And the bats are not invited for Thanksgiving, either.

I've been super busy with craft fairs, trying to cash in on the Christmas shopping crowd. So between creating my goodies, and schlepping them around trying to sell them. Whew! I'm pooped.

And since I make so many earrings, I end up keeping a bunch. So I had to custom make my own holder. So here is today's project:

Hardware cloth earring holder

You need:
1/4" hardware cloth
20 gauge silver wire
wire cutters
needle nose pliers

The finished size of the wire mesh is up to you.
It depends on how large you want your
holder to be. The wire is pretty stiff, so
you can make it fairly large and it should hold up. Mine is about 12" tall with a 7" base. (so I cut my piece 32" long and 8" wide.)

Keep in mind that you will need two sides and one bottom. This will be all one piece.
You need to cut the wire mesh so you have little wires sticking out. Because once you have cut the hardware cloth to size you will need to curl those ends inward. That way you won't have any sharp pokey wire ends. You will do this the total length. It takes a while, but it's a must.

Find the middle and bend it in half. Then bend each end inward 3 1/2". This will form a triangle. Where the two ends meet you will take some wire and weave it in and out securing the ends together.

I added some wire to the top, and curled it for a little swirly look. You can put ear wires on both sides if you wish for double the space savings. Or hang your necklaces from the top wires dangling down the back side.
The shape could also be made into a square, or cylinderical. 

tip of the day:

My neighbor found a good tip in a cooking magazine and I wanted to pass it on.
If your mustard bottle is getting empty, it's almost impossible to get the last drop out. So instead put in some olive oil and a little bit of balsamic vinegar and shake it vigorously.
Now you have some great salad dressing with some added mustard zing.

That's it for today!
And Thank you to all the troops on this Veterans Day.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment