Friday, April 20, 2012

Red leather Yellow leather

I was an art teacher for 15 years. 11 of those years was at a Christian School. Which translates into "we have no budget for art, so do the best you can"...
So this played into my natural inclination for 'saving' things.  Since I was a kid, my mom was always 'saving' stuff.

She was the original recycler...she reused Saran Wrap, tin foil, old clothes, etc.
We spent many days at rummage sales. She could turn an old XXL dress into a cute blouse. She was crafty, and creative and a war survivor. This woman knew how to get by on nothing. And it was always fun hunting for things to recycle.

So when I had to come up with supplies for my K-8 art classes, I was always scrounging around for stuff. Many students' parents donated things from their businesses: yarn and fabric, cardboard, vinyl material (from a boat upholstery shop), and lots more.  You give me "30" of something, I'll make a project out of it.  (I DID get too many empty paper towel rolls to use up, ha ha. But everything else was utilized)

So when I get a nice supply of something, I stash it away until the creative juices start flowing. When my sister (who is an awesome artist and crafter herself) gave my daugher a box of leather samples years ago, I told her I would store it until she needed them. Well, as my kids have small houses, they have no extra room to keep stuff, so I end up with many of their old goodies. Btw...Dana when you picking up your cat? No, just kidding, we can't give her up now after 9 years.

I found this little box the other day when I was cleaning out my fabric closet and came up with this idea...

Today's project is:
Leather Flower Pins

You need:
pin backs
leather or suede scraps
E600 glue

If you don't have an old leather hat or coat to cut up, you can go to the thrift shop. Or fabric store and see what they have. Shopping online is always a possiblity too. There may be some leather manufacturers who have scraps for sale for cheap.

Usually the underside of leather is nice soft suede. So you can have two different looks and textures from one piece. I cut a flower shape from one scrap, then a smaller flower shape, and finally a third smaller shape.
Then I flipped the middle shape (so it was the leather side) so it stood out from the suede sides. When the light hits it, the different surface textures really show up.

Using E600 glue, I layered these pieces together to form a flower. I had a piece of fused glass for the center. But you can use a button, bottle cap, charm, etc. for this part. Put a glob of glue in the middle and plop the embellishment down.

Glue a pin back to the back, vertically. Take a small square of leather and glue over the pin base (with the sharp open) to reinforce the pin.

If you want to wear this as a pendant, pull a cord through the pin top and let it hang down as a necklace.
If you use a hairclip instead of a pin, this can be an awesome hair adornment.

tip of the week:
The title of this post is Red leather Yellow leather. And you may be thinking why...
Well, when my kids were in high school, they had some friends who played a little tongue twister game. Try saying R.L.Y.L. as many times as you can. The one who can say it the longest wins.
Try it, it's silly but fun!

That's all for now...
:D

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I was wondering where that leather went! Put to good use obviously! I commute to work almost every day on my bike, and scraps of leather come in handy as a quick fix for attaching things, or wrapping handlebars! Oh, and I don't think Taavi would leave even if she could!

    ReplyDelete