Friday, September 16, 2011

Minty fresh idea

Wow, where did the summer go?
I was looking back when I started blogging and talking about the hot weather, and picnics and summer fun. And now it's the beginning of autumn. Although it's still warm up here in the foothills.
Not that I mind fall that much, it gets a bit cooler, and the leaves start turning pretty colors.
What I don't like is what follows autumn...winter! ugh.
I hate cold weather. And count the days til it gets warmer again.
So what do I do on cold days, stay in and make stuff!

Mint Tin Containers

you need:
~small metal containers (such as Altoid mint tins, I also got a few tins from cigars that my husband ordered)
~ duct tape (get decorative designs: like zebra stripes or tie dye designs, from Walmart or Michaels)
~optional: squeezy paint

The duct tape sticks really well to the tins. Make sure they are clean, shake out the mint crumbs from inside, too. I rounded the edges of the tape so it fit with the shape of the tin. After the tape is on, burnish it down with your fingernail or popsicle stick so you get a good flat finish. Although it won't look smooth, it looks kind of leathery, and that's a good look.
You can cover only the top, but I like to do the bottom and inside lid.
Then I added some embellishments with the squeezy paint, like dots around the edges, or fake laces or stitches. This paint takes a while to dry, so keep that in mind (you might only want to do the top)

If you have small tins, you can make a keychain with it. Take a hammer and nail and make 2 holes in one end. You'll have to open the top and work on a firm surface (like scrap wood). You don't want to bend the metal. Loop a piece of string or twine (with a bead or two, if you want) through the holes, and tie inside the tin, double knot and trim ends.
Then get a big key ring, and fasten it to the string.

You'll find lots of uses for these little gems:
1. I use one for traveling, to put my recycled aluminum can earrings in so they don't get crunched.
2. If you made a keychain, you can keep your vitamins or pills you take daily in there. That way you'll have it with you at all times.
3. It's the perfect size to fit credit cards, your driver's license and change. It fits into the back pocket of jeans nicely too, when you don't want to lug a purse or wallet around.
4. Kids love little boxes to put little treasures in.
5. Use it for gift giving for Christmas or birthdays. Put a gift card in it, a ribbon around it- instant gift. No need for further wrapping.
6. Or make an emergency sewing kit. Fill it with a few safety pins, a needles with a long piece of thread on it (stuck into a piece of cardboard and folded over the sharp tip), a few buttons of different sizes and small emery board.

Make a bunch, they're fun and useful, and recycled!

tip of the day:
While visiting Montana last month, I spilled tea on my white pants. My friend Kathy suggested getting out the stain using Dawn detergent.  Now this is the 'original' Dawn (she said that works best).
Take a small amount in your palm, add a little water and suds it up, and then rub onto the fabric. I did this several times, and using my fingernail to scritch it in a bit, the tea blotches started coming out. Wash as usual, but do not dry it, until you check to see if the stain is gone. If not, repeat process.  (Heat will set the stain in and make it virtually impossible to get out). And tea and coffee are really tough to remove.
I was overjoyed! Or should I say "over-dawned"? sorry 'bout that, I couldn't help it.

That's all for now...
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment