Friday, March 23, 2012

April Showers

This has been a wet, dry, cool, warm, let's just say a ~crazy winter. The 20th of March was the first day of Spring. And it tends to be pretty rainy around here. So I needed a bag that was waterproof, fast and easy to make, and recycled.
So when I changed my shower curtain liner, I had to perfect material for this tote bag.

Today's Project is:
shower curtain bag

The top of the shower curtain was perfectly clean (we won't disuss the bottom part, ugh) so I cut off about 18" from the top. And cut the width big enough to get two grommets on either side (for the handles).
I had some cotton cord (that I think came off a gift bag) that made perfect handles.

I folded up the curtain (side to side) and sewed up the one side and bottom. The vinyl material was a bit hard to shove through the sewing machine, but I did it slowly and it seemed to work okay.
Then to make the bottom flat, I laid out the bag with the side seam up. I folded up the corner inward (forming a triangle) and used duct tape to fasten it down. I did the same thing on the other side. Now it stands up on its own. I used camophlage duct tape (just because I had it). I didn't think I would be able to sew through so many layers of this heavy vinyl, thus the duct tape.
Turn the bag right side out, thread the cord through the grommets and make a knot. This will keep the cord from coming out.

I have a book by: Jodi Kahn (simply sublime bags) that talks about making a similar bag, but she used staples and duct tape. So it would be a no-sew bag. She stapled the seams, instead of sewing, and then covered up those staples with duct tape.  So for those of you without a sewing machine, go for it!  YOU too can make cool stuff! And you can find duct tape in all kinds of cool designs. That would add lots of fun to this bag.

I have used this bag as an "emergency snow/rain bag" in my car. I have my snow boots, rain poncho, hat, scarf, socks, gloves, umbrella, and granola bar (I get hungry putting on those chains on my tires) I will use this tote for a beach bag when summer comes (I'm already dreaming about the hot weather :) ahhhh

You can use a cloth shower curtain also, the grommets are the things that make this bag easy. It wouldn't be waterproof, but water resistant at any rate. And nice strong material.
I know the Dollar Store sells liners (for $1) so it's a cheap way to start. And you'll have the rest of the plastic left over for lots of other stuff.  More ideas to follow...:)

tip of the day:
Don't let the winter doldrums get you down.  Spice up it up a bit... Let your loved one know you are thinking of them by using a bar of soap and writing a sexy, fun message on the mirror. So when they get up they get a little surprise...hey...it couldn't hurt!!!! And you can wash it off easily, and add something new later....Keep smiling~

That's all for this week...
:D





No comments:

Post a Comment