Friday, December 2, 2011

Dish it up!


I love to make new things from old stuff!

Well, it looks like Santa's workshop at my house. Trying to get as many gifts finished early so I can enjoy the holidays instead of feeling rushed and crazed! Half the fun of Christmas for me, is designing gifts that will be special for each person. I love themes too, and try to have one for every person to keep a common thread running through their presents. Today's project can have a theme, or not. That is up to you, this one is for my friend who likes wine. And the nice thing about it is that it is functional as well as pretty.

Today's project is:
a Decoupage Plate

You will need:
a clear (smooth)  plate or bowl (this can be a recycled one from your own cupboard)
ModPodge (decoupage goop)
a paper napkin (you only need one, see if your friends have any fun designs left over from a party)
1" brush

First you need to separate the napkin from its second layer. Gently pry apart at the corner and pull the white underside off of the design side. Then you have to decide whether to cut apart the parts printed on the napkin or use it whole. If you have a cocktail napkin, you may have a bit of trouble covering the whole plate. So finding a napkin with a design that is suitable for cutting apart and rearranging onto the plate may work best.
Once you have the pieces cut out and arranged to your liking, take the ModPodge and spread it onto the UNDER side of the plate or bowl. Gently lay the pieces down with their 'good' side facing down and smooth gently with your fingers or paintbrush. Be careful not to pull too hard, for the napkin will rip. If the napkin gets a bit wrinkly, that's okay, it adds to that Old World antique look.

Then you will cover all the pieces, GENTLY  brushing on the ModPodge over the entire back surface.
When it is dry you can turn it over and rub the edges with your fingers to get off any excess decoupage paste.
shown with a white paper behind plate to better see design
I like to add a decorative edge with a gold pen (available at the hardware store). Also sprinkle a bit of baby powder and work it around a bit, then brush or blow it off. This helps keep the ModPodge from sticking to anything.  This of course, is HAND WASH.

tip of the day:
When you are grocery shopping (especially in the winter and your hands are dry) I find it almost impossible to open those plastic bags to put my vegetables in. So what I do is tap my fingers on a celery wrapper or carrot package that has been 'sprayed' with the overhead water. Then it's a snap to open the bags with my moistened fingers.

That's all for today!
:D

1 comment:

  1. I love your grocery shopping tip! I usually lick my fingers to open the bags, but Justin thinks it's gross and won't do it. He will be thrilled to know there's a better way!

    I am rushing around trying to finish Christmas presents too! They are going to be good this year! I hope you like yours!

    ReplyDelete