Thursday, June 23, 2011

Let's get organized!

I love making new stuff out of old stuff!

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to post a new blog every 3 or 4 days. We'll see how it goes.
Summer is so busy, and we will be traveling a lot, my husband, Tom and I.
Although, I've been waiting all winter for these nice hot days, it seems
to get a bit hectic, and we're trying to cram in as much fun as we can!

In July we are heading to Wisconsin for our annual gathering called Farm Fest.
Then down to Indiana to more family and friends.
It will be great to see everyone, but a bit frenzied.
Then in August, we will be in Montana for a big family reunion and a wedding.
So many special people to see!
So beside those trips and craft events and blogging, and making jewelry
and my part time job, and regular daily life...I hope I can keep up.  :)

Our project for the day is:
A cork board (beverage inspired) with cool bottle cap push-pins to stick into it~

you need:
~lots of corks, so start drinking some fine wine, or ask friends to save, or visit a winery. (I used 49 corks to fill in a 7 1/2" X 9 1/2" opening.)
~an old picture frame, with no glass, but has a cardboard insert, and a hanger on the back.
~metal thumb tacks (the larger size heads work the best. You can find these at hardware stores) or push pins
~glue (E 6000 or Gorilla Glue is strong)

Make sure the glass is out of the frame. Great for recycling those frames whose glass has broken. (Be careful discarding any broken glass though, it is so sharp, you don’t want your garbage collector to cut himself. So put it in a padded container, then discard.)
The frame's cardboard backing should be secured. Place the picture frame on a flat surface.
Put the corks into the frame. You can use any pattern you wish as long as they fit into the space.
I have done rows, herringbone, or squares.
Then glue each one down until you fill the frame. (if they don't quite fit, try cutting them with a sharp knife or I use my band saw)
Also, if you want to use only 1/2 the amount of corks, cut them in half lengthwise (again use a band saw or scroll saw)
Let dry thoroughly and then hang on the wall. If the frame doesn't have a hanger, you can prop it up on your desk with the easel support- if it has one.

To make the bottle cap push pins you will be squeezing a bit of glue in the center of the UNDERSIDE of the bottle cap. Then press the thumbtack or pushpin onto the glue and hold, pressing hard to adhere for a few seconds. Let dry thoroughly. (if you can hold yourself back, it's a good idea to let everything set overnight)
These are great for anyone working in an office, or college students, or the rest of us who like to be organized in a fun way! Check out the resale shops for old frames. Many of the frames don't have glass, and that's perfect. But they DO have funky frames. Many wineries are happy to give you corks, also. I live in 'wine country' in El Dorado County, California. So I don't have a cork problem...between me and my neighbors, we have plenty.  Cheers!

TIP OF THE DAY:
If you are going to recycle a bottle and need to get the label off, try a blow dryer on it first.
Sometimes the glue comes right off after prolonged heat exposure. (I use my heat gun)
If that doesn't work, I take a thin kitchen towel, soak it in water and wrap the bottle.
Let it sit for a while, that usually gets it soft. Then you can peel it off. Any residue
left on it, you can either use GooGone, or a straight edged razor blade to scrape it off.
I have a neat project using labels to decoupage on a tray. So save those labels in one piece if you can!
More projects with bottles and labels later...

Check out my website for cool recycled stuff: http://www.arttowearbydee.etsy.com/
and please feel free to post this onto your Facebook Page! click link below...

Thanks for coming by. You're a like a neighbor strolling over to chat, I like that!

That's all for today!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment